About Community Solutions:
Community Solutions is the team behind the 100,000 Homes Campaign and the ongoing Built for Zero initiative. The White House, the United Nations and the World Economic Forum have each recognized our fun, user-driven approach to helping communities end homelessness. This position is tied to the Built for Zero initiative, an international network of communities and partners working through a variety of projects to achieve functional zero and effectively end homelessness. Built for Zero communities have already achieved 10 functional zero proof points for their local veteran and/or chronic populations, providing the evidence that doing so is possible and a tipping point such that communities worldwide are now working towards this end.
Community Solutions seeks leaders at every level: extraordinary, mission oriented people not satisfied with the status quo. We are a team of values driven problem solvers motivated by results. We eagerly seek and support diverse applicants. We provide generous benefits and opportunities for inspiring and transformational professional growth. We pride ourselves in developing an inclusive workplace culture that encourages staff to bring their whole selves to work every day.
Community Solutions is a nonprofit innovation partner to communities around the world. We leverage engaging, innovative problem solving tools like design thinking and quality improvement to help communities end homelessness and the conditions that create it. The Built for Zero (BFZ) team works with over 100 communities across the US and around the world to build a movement to end homelessness.
We are seeking a detail-oriented, self-motivated and organized individual to join the Data Team on the energetic, collaborative Built for Zero team at Community Solutions. This position reports to the Data Solutions Lead and will be responsible for supporting, maintaining, and continually improving Built for Zero’s data systems (including our database, client relationship management software [CRM], Tableau Server deployment, and training materials/processes). Semi-regular travel (roughly 5-6 times a year) will be required to attend team retreats and other on-site trainings or convenings.
Defining Success for this Position:
- Built for Zero has a cohesive, integrated, high-functioning data ecosystem: our team and communities can easily access the data they need and are confident in data quality.
- Processes are designed to empower users to access the information they need. Automation is the name of the game and our systems run smoothly without needing staff to make recurring manual updates.
- Our tools are accessible and designed with the user in mind.
- Our systems are ready to go to scale. Our work is constantly growing, so it’s crucial that we build with an eye towards supporting more communities and projects with collecting, storing, and visualizing the data they need to inform their work.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the design and continuous improvement of data systems that empower Community Solutions, communities, and partners to analyze data and track and improve performance including:
- Improve data extraction/collection tools and systems that reduce the work communities have to do to access their data
- Support a robust Community Solutions database/data warehouse solution
- Support the management of client relationship management tool (CRM)
- Hone our Tableau Server deployment
- Strengthen integrations so that information automatically flows between these tools.
- Support the right level of access for different users and manage the quality of data within our systems.
- Co-develop and share clear training materials and processes for communities, partners, and internal staff.
- Iterate on data infrastructure design and/or functionality, i.e. work to regularly revise data and performance management products based on the changing needs of end users.
- Serve as backup to the Data Systems Manager and Data Solutions Lead on calls, meetings, and trainings, as needed.
- Contribute to team discussions around how to collect, prepare, and visualize data.
- Other duties, as assigned, to advance the efforts of the Built for Zero Team.
- Passion for justice, equity, and ending homelessness.
- Enthusiasm for learning new software, systems, and processes.
- Spreadsheet witch/wizard with experience figuring out how to structure organized, easy-to-read data tables.
- Experience with Salesforce or other client relationship management tools (CRMs).
- Experience with Tableau or other business intelligence tools is a plus.
- Familiarity with homeless services is a plus.
- At least three years of previous work experience..
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
- Must have the ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast paced, dynamic team environment and demonstrate a willingness to shift easily between various responsibilities with diverse stakeholders.
- High level of attention to detail and ability to multitask.
- Ability to exercise excellent independent judgment and ownership of decisions.
- Receives and relays criticism constructively.
- Excellent communication skills (both interpersonal and written).
- Ability to work independently and self-manage to achieve goals while being a strong team player.
- Ability to organize, meet deadlines and delegate appropriately.
- Ability to cope with and embrace change, risk, and uncertainty.
- Willingness to embrace and actively support the unique culture and values of Community Solutions.
Equipment /Software/Other Used:
- Google Suite, especially Google Sheets
- Alteryx and/or Tableau Prep
- Tableau/Tableau Server
- Amazon Web Services
- Asana (for project management)
This position can be located anywhere in the U.S. and provides for the flexibility to work from a remote location without the standard support available at an office if desired. The Built for Zero team has offices in Los Angeles, New York, and Atlanta.
Please submit your cover letter and resume here.