Community Solutions is a nonprofit innovation partner to communities around the world. We leverage engaging, innovative problem-solving tools like design thinking and quality improvement to help communities end homelessness and the conditions that create it. The Built for Zero (BFZ) team works with over 100 communities across the US and around the world to build a movement to end homelessness.
We are seeking a detail-oriented, self-motivated and organized individual to join the Data Team on the energetic, collaborative Built for Zero team at Community Solutions. This position reports to the Product Design and Implementation Manager and will be responsible for co-designing, maintaining, and continually improving Built for Zero’s data systems (including our database, client relationship management software [CRM], Tableau Server deployment, and training materials/processes). Semi-regular travel will be required to attend semi-annual team retreats and other on-site trainings or convenings.
Defining Success for this Position:
- Built for Zero has a cohesive, integrated, high-functioning data ecosystem: our team and communities can easily access the data they need and are confident in data quality.
- The system requires minimal ongoing maintenance. Automation is the name of the game and our tools can all play together well without needing staff to make recurring manual updates.
- Our tools are accessible and designed with the user in mind.
- Our systems are ready to go to scale. Our work is constantly growing, so it’s crucial that we build with an eye towards supporting more communities and initiatives with collecting, storing, and visualizing the data they need to inform their work.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Co-lead the re-design of data systems that empower Community Solutions, communities, and partners to analyze data and track and improve performance including:
- Improve data extraction/collection tools and systems that reduce the work communities have to do to access their data
- Develop a more robust Community Solutions database/data warehouse solution
- Manage client relationship management tool (CRM)
- Hone our Tableau Server deployment
- Strengthen integrations so that information automatically flows between these tools.
- Determine the right level of access for different users and manage the quality of data within our systems.
- Develop and share clear training materials and processes for communities, partners, and internal staff.
- Iterate on data infrastructure design and/or functionality, i.e. work to regularly revise data and performance management products based on the changing needs of end users.
- Serve as backup to the Product Lead on calls, meetings, and trainings, as needed.
- Contribute to team discussions around how to collect, prepare, and visualize data.
- Other duties, as assigned, to advance the efforts of the Data and Performance Management Team.
- Passion for justice, equity, and ending homelessness.
- Spreadsheet witch/wizard with experience designing and/or managing databases, client relationship management tools (CRMs), and extraction, transformation, and loading (ETL) processes. Experience with Tableau or other business intelligence tools and Amazon Web Services is a plus.
- Five to seven years of previous work experience in a professional environment.
- Must have the ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced, dynamic team environment and demonstrate a willingness to shift easily between various responsibilities with diverse stakeholders.
- High level of attention to detail and ability to multitask.
- Ability to exercise excellent independent judgment and ownership of decisions.
- Receives and relays criticism constructively.
- Excellent communication skills (both interpersonal and written).
- Ability to work independently and self-manage to achieve goals while being a strong team player.
- Ability to organize, meet deadlines and delegate appropriately.
- Ability to cope with and embrace change, risk, and uncertainty.
- Willingness to embrace and actively support the unique culture and values of Community Solutions.
Equipment /Software/Other Used:
- Google Suite, especially Google Sheets
- Alteryx and/or Tableau Prep
- SQL Database
- Tableau Server
- Asana (for project management)
This position can be located anywhere in the U.S. and provides for the flexibility to work from a remote location without the standard support available at an office if desired. The Built for Zero team has offices in Los Angeles, New York, and Atlanta.
Submit your cover letter and resume here.