Community Solutions is a nonprofit innovation partner to communities around the world. We leverage engaging, innovative problem-solving tools like design thinking and quality improvement to help communities end homelessness and the conditions that create it. Since 2011, we’ve helped US communities find homes for more than 200,000 homeless Americans at a taxpayer savings of more than $1.6b. Eleven of those communities have ended either chronic or veteran homelessness outright. We are led by Macarthur Fellow and internationally recognized innovator Rosanne Haggerty. Our work has been featured on 60 Minutes and recognized by the White House, the United Nations and the Smithsonian.
Community Solutions (CS) is looking for a summer intern to support our Executive Team, including carrying out special projects for the President and senior staff members. This internship provides an excellent opportunity for future nonprofit leaders to learn about what it takes to run a high-performing organization working to solve complex social problems.
The intern will work full time, 40 hours per week, starting in early June through mid-August. If the intern’s school does not provide a stipend for internships, then CS will compensate her/him at a rate of $13.50/hour. The intern will have access to multiple training and educational opportunities throughout the summer.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Carry out research projects for the President related to new approaches for solving homelessness.
- Work closely with the Senior Project Manager for Strategy to manage deadlines and organize materials for Community Solutions Board meetings.
- Support the Executive Team strategic planning process by conducting research, compiling materials, and taking notes.
- Support People Operations’ projects for the Director of Operations, which may include diversity and inclusion work, improving our professional development systems, and/or the tracking of data and goals across the organization
- Support the writing of internal newsletters, which may include updates on the activities of different teams, information on general health and wellness, links to articles on innovations in the nonprofit sector, etc.
- Carry out marketing and communications projects to help spread the word regarding Community Solutions’ work
- Demonstrated passion for equity, justice, and solving complex social problems
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills
- Strong time-management, organizational and research skills
- Quick learner with the ability to self-motivate
- Highly organized and attentive to detail
- Non-traditional candidates welcome. Convince us you have what it takes!
Trainings and educational opportunities offered during internship
- Organization-wide orientation for summer interns
- Community Solutions’ Core Competency trainings
- Lunch meetings with CS employees, paid for by Community Solutions, to learn about the employees’ roles within the organization, the projects/programs they oversee, and how their work contributes to the CS mission
- Shadowing CS employees in meetings and completion of projects
- Participation in team meetings and all-staff meetings
- Regular check-ins with supervisors for feedback and guidance
The Executive Team Intern will work from our central office in Manhattan, as well as virtually at times. S/he will report to two supervisors, one who works from home in Chicago and the other in upstate New York, and coordination with the supervisors will take place via video conference.
Submit your resume and cover letter via our hiring portal here.