Community Solutions is seeking 2 experienced, self-motivated and organized individuals to join the energetic, collaborative Built for Zero Team as Improvement Advisors (IA).
IA #1: This position will be responsible for supporting Built for Zero communities in ending homelessness for chronically homeless individuals and veterans and will assist with the design and delivery of strategies focused on improving local progress toward this end. This position is expected to work flexibly on other Built for Zero portfolio projects and activities as needed.IA #2: This position will support Built for Zero communities that have reached functional zero for veterans and chronic individuals to sustain that end and innovate the BFZ methods and tools to expand to youth and family homelessness. This position is expected to work flexibly on other Built for Zero portfolio projects and activities as needed.
The Built for Zero team draws on a set of core competencies to support communities in their journey towards ending homelessness. The ideal candidates will be very comfortable with two of these competencies in particular: facilitation of teams to achieve goals and Quality Improvement (QI) as a problem-solving and measurement methodology. Special consideration will be given to candidates that have taught the principles of QI and facilitated teams through improvement projects. The ideal candidates will also be familiar with the work of Built for Zero, and have content knowledge related to housing and homelessness, ideally from the youth or family homelessness sector for IA #2. Knowledge of Continuum of Care governance and funding structures is also encouraged.
About Community Solutions:
You should be dedicated and clear-eyed about what it takes to make a difference for some of the most vulnerable people in our societies. You have experience in working on the ground in communities, facilitating collective problem-solving, and analyzing and synthesizing data. You also demonstrate a high level of empathy and flexibility, which will be critical to ensuring successful collaboration with partnering organizations.This work is hard, and our team is relentlessly committed to rigor, measurement and provable impact. You’ll work hard like the rest of us, and every day, you’ll have the satisfaction of contributing to a meaningful outcome that is owned by our whole team. Your title will be Improvement Advisor, but when people ask you what you do, we hope you’ll learn to say, “I’m helping communities end homelessness for good.”
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate in strategic planning and implementation for the Built for Zero initiative, with a commitment to iteration and improvement.
- Use Quality Improvement methods and tools, coach and consult with targeted communities to achieve improvements specific to reducing the number of individuals experiencing chronic, veteran or other types of homelessness month to month, improving the trajectory toward reaching functional zero.
- Support time-bound mixed methods research projects on various topics related to improving communities’ abilities to reach functional zero and translate those findings into opportunities for testing innovations to catalyze the work of ending homelessness.
- Conduct outreach to community leaders and federal partners to understand unique opportunities and challenges related to Continuum of Care structures to identify innovations that can be tested within these structures in service of ending homelessness in communities.
- Serve as a confident facilitator, providing content knowledge during national and community based technical assistance events.
- Use data to develop, test, implement and spread changes that will support communities in reducing the number of individuals experiencing chronic and veteran homelessness month to month, improving the trajectory toward reaching functional zero.
- Engage staff, community leaders and strategic partners to provide input and to support the design of Built for Zero tools and methods when applicable.
- Assess improvement education and training needs of low performing communities; develop appropriate strategies, implement support plans, monitor outcomes and improvements.
- Train and support communities to use data to drive performance specific to their local efforts to end homelessness.
- Produce, support, and participate in Built for Zero webinars as needed.
- Capture learning and best practice from high performing communities as a strategy for scale.
- As a representative of Community Solutions, present on Built for Zero learning, methods and/or outcomes and at conferences, workshops, convenings, etc.
- Other projects as needed.
- Three to five years previous work experience in a professional environment
- Passion for justice, equity, ending homelessness and the belief it is possible
- Command of the Model for Improvement/QI and insight into how it can be used to drive improvements toward ending homelessness and measure impact
- Experience with facilitation, public speaking, and coaching for improvement
- Ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast paced, dynamic team environment and demonstrate a willingness to shift easily between various responsibilities with diverse stakeholders
Please apply here.