Community Solutions (CS) is seeking a summer intern to support our Inspiring Places team’s work in North Hartford, CT. Community Solutions is a national non-profit organization that helps communities end homelessness, both by improving local housing efforts and by working in communities of concentrated poverty to change the conditions that make people vulnerable to future homelessness.
In support of this vision, CS’ Inspiring Places (IP) team develops innovative and replicable models for transformative real estate development projects. The centerpiece of our real estate work in North Hartford is the refurbishment of the Swift Factory, a former gold leaf manufacturing facility. Donated to CS in 2010, the Swift Factory is an adaptive reuse project in one of Hartford’s poorest neighborhoods. The historic factory and surrounding campus will be transformed from a vacant and blighted structure into an economic engine for job creation and health promotion centered on food using green building technology and sustainable site design. Construction on the Swift Factory began in 2018, and it is expected that the factory will open by the start of 2020.
The Inspiring Places intern will have opportunities to support all aspects of CS’ work on the Swift Factory, including researching new approaches, marketing and community engagement, and construction management. The intern will work full time, 40 hours per week, starting in early June through mid August. If the intern’s school does not provide a stipend for internships, then CS will compensate her/him at a rate of $12/hour. The intern will have access to multiple training and educational opportunities throughout the summer.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Research best practices for managing shared office & co-working spaces that CS can apply when we start managing the shared offices at the Swift Factory
- Research best practices for supporting and managing shared kitchens & food business incubators that CS can apply when the food business incubator is established at the Swift Factory
- Oversee marketing, social media, and communications projects related to the Swift Factory
- Assist with engaging community members in the creation of block clubs, identifying possible Swift Factory employees, and Swift Factory tenant recruitment
- Assist with managing Swift Factory construction by attending construction meetings, photographing the construction progress, and tracking local hiring
Skills and Qualities Needed
- Passion for revitalizing distressed neighborhoods and helping communities to solve complex social problems.
- Familiarity with Hartford and the Northeast and Downtown neighborhoods is a plus
- Thoughtful and can easily connect with individuals from diverse backgrounds
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Highly organized and attentive to detail
- Experience using Google spreadsheets, docs, slides and Adobe software
- Experience with graphic design and video editing necessary to assist with the development of promotional material including project brochures, flyers and websites.
- Ability to work independently and self-manage to achieve goals while being a strong team player
- Receives and relays criticism constructively
Trainings and educational opportunities offered during internship
- Organization-wide orientation for summer interns
- Community Solutions’ Core Competencies Training
- Lunch meetings with CS employees, paid for by Community Solutions, to learn about the employees’ roles within the organization, the projects/programs they oversee, and how their work contributes to CS’ mission
- Participation in team meetings and all-staff meetings
- Regular check-ins with Supervisor for feedback and guidance
The Inspiring Places assistant will be based in the Community Solutions’ office in Hartford, CT 2-3 days per week, working remotely the remaining days as dictated by construction activity on site.
Submit your resume and cover letter via our hiring site here.