Community Solutions is a hardworking team of social problem solvers working to end homelessness and the conditions that create it. Our Built for Zero team is working with roughly 80 communities across the US and around the world to build a movement to end chronic and veteran homelessness. Nine of these communities have already ended veteran and/or chronic homelessness, and two have ended both.
Community Solutions seeks leaders at every level: extraordinary, mission oriented people not satisfied with the status quo. We are a team of values driven innovators motivated by results. We eagerly seek and support diverse applicants. We provide generous benefits and opportunities for inspiring and transformational professional growth. We pride ourselves in developing an inclusive workplace culture that encourages staff to bring their whole selves to work every day.
The Built for Zero team at Community Solutions is looking for a highly energetic, experienced marketing professional to join our team as Marketing and Engagement Manager (MEM). In this role, you will help us drive engagement with new and existing communities by leveraging a honed marketing and communications skill set for maximum social impact, rather than financial gain.
Our team aims to help 40 communities end chronic and/or veteran homelessness by the end of 2020, and to help two international communities achieve the same outcome. To succeed, we must secure the opportunity to support, influence and learn with as many communities as possible over this time period. This requires us to treat community teams like customers in a marketing funnel, even though our work is not designed to make money.
The MEM will lead community engagement strategies along with the recruitment team (pre-sell) and support the retention of existing commitments (post-sell). You will help our team develop a deeper understanding of the needs of our community teams, and translate those insights into user-centered resources, experiences, products and services. As the central point of contact for incoming communities you must be able to engage effectively with a variety of personalities and build relationships at different organizational levels.
Core duties and responsibilities:
The MEM will create and deliver ideation concepts and effectively manage marketing campaigns. You will develop and edit content for marketing collateral both offline and online including but not limited to print, website, social media, blog posts, articles, presentations, pitch decks, talking points, email blasts, newsletter, etc. You will also be responsible for continually assessing community needs by evaluating engagement statistics of digital campaigns and applying those insights to the creation of new sales and marketing collateral. If traditional methods are not yielding results, you must be able to pivot and quickly implement a new approach to boost engagement. The MEM will focus on Built for Zero’s tentpole events, key conferences & other priority engagement opportunities, ensuring materials are produced and distributed in advance and apply fresh ideas to keep communities connected post-event.
The MEM will build relationships with and maintain a database of prospective and incoming communities. You will develop data-driven customer profiles to help us better target our outreach and improve our responsiveness to the communities we serve. The MEM will also develop, curate and continually improve a plan (a responsive engagement funnel) to help new communities engage more deeply with our work over time. A key part of this role is to build and nurture long term relationships via high attention to detail, customer care and establishing good working relationships with decision makers of clients and with internal colleagues.
Success in this role:
You will have individual targets mapped to our strategic objectives measured by:
- High content engagement metrics with a broad, multi-tiered audience paying special attention to understanding and engaging leaders at the outer rings of the customer engagement funnel.
- Movement of a set number of new communities through the sales funnel each trimester, to sign up either with our Direct Community Support portfolio or to join the Built for Zero Collaborative.
- A healthy pipeline of prospects to support recruitment targets.
- A steady stream of actionable customer insights that can be leveraged by the entire team for the ongoing creation, improvement and scale of new content and services.
This is a hands-on role that shifts gears quickly between strategic thinking and tactical execution. The ideal candidate is an energetic individual who is able to multitask effectively, offer quick and effective ideas, and provide creative input. Analytics are key to understanding whether the tactics employed are working and you must be able to capture, measure and report data to support successes or to justify moving in a new direction. You will be surrounded by sharp thinkers and other “doers” in an environment that supports new ideas. If this sounds like your beat, we want to hear from you!
Qualifications and Prerequisites:
- Excellent writing and copy-editing skills. We need someone who can fine tune our customer communications to help deliver targeted messaging for different audience segments across different platforms.
- Experience giving creative direction to designers for web, print and social communications.
- Demonstrate real expertise in CRM, customer data, list management, campaign metrics and performance analytics.
- Clearly understand the importance of measuring ROI, funnel management and measurement
- Expert knowledge of each phase of the conversion process, from pipeline generation to closing the deal.
- Previous work experience in digital marketing, customer engagement, managing social media platforms, web analytics and high-level customer service.
- Candidates should have demonstrated abilities to meet objective goals, provide excellent customer service, build long-term relationships, and work in a fast paced team-oriented environment.
- Excellent listening and consultative selling skills to identify and convert opportunities for formal engagement
- Experience in the field of homelessness is a bonus, but not required
- Three to five years previous work experience in a relevant professional environment
- Experience managing multiple competing projects
- Strong knowledge of MS Office Suite, Google Apps products, CRMs and analytics tools such as Google Analytics, and social media analytics.
- Working knowledge of Photoshop, Illustrator or Adobe Suite a plus
- Excellent “soft skills,” including verbal and written communication skills
- High tolerance for ambiguity and moving projects forward in a shifting, often uncertain environment
- Able to see, and pivot between, multiple paths to the same goal
- Strong problem solving, organizational, multitasking, and project management skills
- Preference for clear and direct communication
- Skilled in quality improvement and data analytics
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
Around 5 to 7 days of travel will be required every 3 months to attend semi-annual team retreats, community site visits, and other on-site trainings or convenings. Most travel is to major cities around the US, including current Built for Zero communities.
This position can be located anywhere in the continental United States with a preference for candidates in New York City, Los Angeles, Denver and Atlanta. The Built for Zero team has office space in both New York City and Los Angeles, but the position provides for the flexibility to work from a remote location without the standard support available at an office if such an arrangement meets the needs of Community Solutions.
Between $65,000 and $75,000 per year, based on experience, plus benefits.
Submit your resume, cover letter, and writing sample here.