Community Solutions’ Built for Zero (BfZ) team works with over 80 communities across the US and around the world to build a movement to end homelessness. We seek an experienced, self-motivated candidate to join, the Built for Zero team. The Project Coordinator will provide our Large-Scale Change and Strategic Communities Portfolios with effective project management, content coordination, and logistics support. The Large-Scale Change Portfolio provides design and strategy support to backbone organizations and coalitions working to drive outcomes across multiple communities and the Strategic Communities Portfolio works with select, high-leverage communities where an end to homelessness would drive particularly significant narrative change and inspire results at scale.
The candidate of our dreams is organized, but not rigid— a “get sh#& done” kind of person who can work out a plan of action quickly in the face of ambiguity and changing information (this environment offers a lot of both). We’re looking for the sort of person who finds problem solving and complex implementation fun and who prides themselves on seeing multiple paths to the same outcome. You should come to work everyday with a desire to serve and assist your teammates as they serve local change agents in communities around the world. You should also see your job as enabling results, not just hitting deadlines or budgetary targets. We have clear strategic plan aims, and project completion does not necessarily equal success if a project does not advance these aims.
Finally, you should be dedicated and clear-eyed about what it takes to make a difference for some of the most vulnerable people in our societies. This work is hard, and our team is relentlessly committed to rigor, measurement and provable impact. You’ll work long and hard like the rest of us, and every day, you’ll have the satisfaction of contributing to a meaningful outcome that is owned by our whole team.
About Community Solutions:
Community Solutions is a hardworking team of social problem solvers working to end homelessness and the conditions that create it. We see these challenges as systems design problems, not just resource issues. Our team helps communities use modern problem solving tools, like design thinking and quality improvement, to improve the design, coordination and delivery of lasting, root cause solutions.
Since 2011, we’ve helped US communities find homes for more than 175,000 homeless Americans at a taxpayer savings of more than $1.4 billion. Thirteen of those communities have ended either chronic or veteran homelessness outright. We are led by Macarthur Fellow and internationally recognized innovator, Rosanne Haggerty. Our work has been featured on 60 Minutes and recognized by the White House, the United Nations and the Smithsonian.
Community Solutions seeks leaders at every level: extraordinary, mission oriented people not satisfied with the status quo. We are a team of values driven problem solvers motivated by results. We eagerly seek and support diverse applicants. We provide generous benefits and opportunities for inspiring and transformational professional growth. We pride ourselves in developing an inclusive workplace culture that encourages staff to bring their whole selves to work every day.
A successful Project Coordinator will:
- At all times, each project within the LSC and SC Portfolios has an actionable, accountable and achievable work plan that Project Teams can drive forward.
- Project management infrastructure, including Asana and all overarching documents, is updated regularly so that all team members can see the status of each project and how all projects fit together against our strategic aims.
- Internal portfolio communications are clear, streamlined and effective in keeping all team members on the same page and rowing in the same direction.
- External communications to communities and partners are clear, streamlined and keep us on track against our commitments
- Periodic data dives are effectively coordinated, such that ownership of tasks related to the data dives is clear and transparent
- Concierge-style access to the BfZ team for partners and clients is coordinated seamlessly and efficiently, and includes up to date content and learning
LSC and SC Coordination (50%)
- Supporting our Partnerships by:
- Managing call technology and access (audio and otherwise) to conference call software
- Managing external requests for info about Large Scale Change and Strategic Communities
- Driving follow-up tasks from partnership calls
- With the BFZ Operations Manager, coordinating the logistics of the pass-through funding processes, including evaluating proposals, administration, tracking reports, etc.
- Internal Team Coordination and Feedback Loops:
- Prepare weekly topsheet of team happenings
- Assist with scheduling of complex calls + prepare internal agendas
- Project manage improvement work around the execution of the portfolio engagements: capture lessons learned, document and track improvement efforts through after action reviews
- Coordinate concierge partner access to BfZ content and team members with portfolio and project leads by way of:
- Scheduling one-off meetings with external partners relevant BFZ team members
- Fielding partners’ content needs and gathering materials to send
- Manage logistics for internal evaluations, which may include creating links, sending emails, inserting links into docs, sharing results
- Manage user-facing (community) evaluations, which may include creating links, sending emails, inserting links into docs, sharing results
- Manage staff onsite travel schedule
- Managing project communications across portfolios
- Managing Partner and Community Relationships and Logistics
- Project manage tasks related to onboarding new communities and partners to the portfolios
- Project manage logistics related to Strategy Sessions, Learning Sessions, Action Labs and other on-site community and partner meetings
- Staffing and Hiring
- Project Managing the hiring process for any new staff that may be hired as part of the LSC or SC portfolios
- Scheduling regular performance reviews for current employees
Project Management (30%)
Responsible for implementing a project management process that spans from inception to completion, in support of Project Leads in the Large-Scale Change and Strategic Communities portfolios:
- Supporting Project Teams by:
- Advising on the development of clear, actionable project timelines at the beginning of each new portfolio project
- Estimating staff time and responsibilities and mapping task dependencies
- Assisting Project Leads in identifying required resources for each project
- Capturing project management decisions and building corresponding work plans in Asana
- Conducting after-action reviews (post-project analysis) on all projects to evaluate project management practices and assumptions and improve team understanding of timing, staff capacity and resource needs for future projects
Team Excellence (Internal Project Management & Operations) Overarching Strategy (20%)
- Work alongside the Team Excellence leader to
- Refine team-wide project management infrastructure and protocol over time
- Develop infrastructure for tracking analyzing project management analytics to improve project management policies and strategies over time
- Define and iterate internal processes to improve user experience
- Jump in to help with additional tasks whenever all hands are needed on deck, especially around event support and logistics
- Assist in content development for various portfolio engagements.
- Other projects as needed.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- High tolerance for ambiguity and moving projects forward in a shifting, often uncertain environment
- Able to see, and pivot between, multiple paths to the same goal
- Comfortable managing individuals without supervisory authority
- Skillful and respectful conflict resolution
- Works well under pressure and with tight deadlines
- Strong problem solving and project management skills
- Experience with Asana or other open-source project management platform
- Experience with complex project management in an environment in which you lacked specific content/subject matter expertise
- File and asset management
- Strong, organized multitasker
- Comfort giving and receiving in-the-moment, direct feedback — to/from peers and supervisors
- Zeal for continuous learning and improvement
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- 3-5 years work experience in a professional environment
- At least 3 years project management experience
- Non-profit project management experience preferred, especially in the homelessness sector
- Experience managing customer relationships
- Demonstrated understanding of structural racism and strategies for advancing equity and supporting people of color in the workplace
- Non-traditional candidates welcome. Community Solutions strives for representation and authentic inclusion of applicants and employees who have direct, first-hand experience with poverty, homelessness, and their root causes (including marginalization, discrimination, and inequity).
- Google Drive and business applications
- Microsoft Office, in particular Microsoft Excel
- Zoom Video Conferencing
Salary and Travel
- CS offers competitive salaries and benefits packages for every position. The salary range for this position is $60,000 to $70,000.
- This position requires about 2 to 5 days of travel every 3 months to attend semi-annual team retreats and other on-site trainings or convenings. Most travel is to major cities around the US, including current Built for Zero communities.
This position will be located in Denver, CO or Los Angeles, CA.
Please apply here.