About Community Solutions:
Community Solutions is a hardworking team of social problem solvers working to end homelessness and the conditions that create it. Our team helps communities use problem solving tools, like design thinking and quality improvement, to improve the design, coordination and delivery of lasting, root cause solutions.
We are a team of values-driven innovators motivated by results. We eagerly seek and support diverse applicants. We provide generous benefits and opportunities for inspiring and transformational professional growth. We pride ourselves in developing an inclusive workplace culture that encourages staff to bring their whole selves to work every day. We are seeking a Project Manager to join our real estate development team in Hartford CT.
Community Solutions (CS) has been deeply engaged in the revitalization of the North Hartford Promise Zone (NHPZ) for over eight years. In support of this work and CS’s mission to end homelessness and the conditions that create it, CS’s Real Estate team is working to develop innovative and replicable models for transformative real estate development projects. The centerpiece of our work in the NHPZ is the $33M refurbishment of the Swift Factory, a former gold leaf manufacturing facility, which will help revitalize the community by creating jobs in food production, processing, and expanding healthcare services. Construction on the Factory began in June 2018 and will complete by the end of 2019.
Community Solutions is also creating a first-of-its kind social impact housing model in the Northeast Neighborhood of Hartford, CT. The model is designed to address the three predominant housing issues facing community residents: poor quality housing, high rates of eviction and threats to long-term affordability.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The Project Manager will work under the Senior Project Manager (SPM) to lead development of the new Community Land Trust and assist with other aspects of the organization's real estate development and operations in Hartford, Connecticut, including primary responsibility for operations and tenant management at the Swift Factory.
Community Land Trust Duties
- Identify opportunities for housing acquisition and rehabilitation within criteria established by the CLT Board
- Manage all aspects of property acquisition, including private sales and coordination with public/non-profit agencies
- Coordinate design and entitlements, including permitting, zoning, public approval processes
- Serve as the public face of the Land Trust in coordinating with funding agencies and investors/lenders
- Manage all, bidding, selection and contracting for project consultants, including legal, finance, design team and general contractor and subcontractors with a priority to minority owned, Hartford based firms
- Assist with funding applications
- Develop and manage strong relationship with funding agencies and lending institutions
- Build and maintain detailed financial models
- Administer multiple real estate transactions
Swift Factory Duties
- Work with SPM to develop an outreach strategy to tenant candidates for several spaces within the project; lead on all tenant outreach, including securing LOIs and primary business terms
- Assist the SPM as needed in overseeing the construction of the base building and securing all final permits and approvals for operation of the facility
- Assist the SPM as directed in developing and overseeing the design of interior fit-outs
- Assist the SPM in overseeing and managing the construction of the tenant fit-out packages and required Landlord Work
- Develop and implement policies and procedures to effectively manage property
- Review and approve invoices and expenditures
- Manage tenant relations in conjunction with Senior Project Manager to ensure tenant retention
- Coordinate and communicate with Senior Project Manager on capital improvement projects, base building construction work or work directly contracted by tenants
- Support and facilitate property audits, lender and investor walk-throughs and reporting
- Track and manage budgets
- Perform rent collection, processes cash receipts, security deposits and vendor invoices
- Monitor energy/utility consumption and reporting of tenant utility consumption
- Maintain service agreements and current certificates of insurance from vendors
- Process move-ins/outs, security deposits, transfers, rent changes and tenant violations
- Foster a positive, active and collaborative relationship with residents/tenants and coordinate services for units
- Respond to and resolve questions and complaints from residents/tenants
- Monitor and oversee all site management related policies, contracts and agreements
- Perform community outreach and public engagement work with neighboring organizations and businesses, attending community meetings as needed.
The Project Manager with report to the Senior Project Manager in Hartford, CT
- Represent Community Solutions at community meetings, industry related conferences, local governing body committee meetings.
- Attend organization or departmental meetings. Some travel required.
- Supervise interns as needed
- Perform other related duties as required or assigned
- A minimum of seven years of real estate development, construction, leasing, management or related experience
- A graduate degree in related field is preferred but substantial relevant experience will be considered as a substitute
- Experience in real estate transactions including negotiating contract of sales, leases, funding agreements and financial closings.
- Excellent communication skills (both interpersonal and written)
- Familiarity with Hartford and the NHPZ and Downtown neighborhoods
- Experience in construction and/or building management and maintenance
- Background in leasing, marketing, sales, customer service or a related field
- Ability to successfully manage multiple tasks and projects in a fast paced, dynamic team environment and demonstrate a willingness to shift easily between various responsibilities with diverse stakeholders
- Ability to work independently and self-manage to achieve goals while being a strong team player
- Ability to organize, meet deadlines and delegate appropriately
- Passion for improving the lives of NHPZ residents, and for community, economic and real estate development
- Knowledge of sustainable building practices and green building standards
- Understanding of proformas and financial modeling
- Understanding of social impact investing, Low Income Housing, Historic and New Markets Tax Credits, and other local, state and federal incentive programs
- Design and graphics skills necessary to assist with the development of promotional material including project brochures, flyers and websites
- Exceptionally strong project management skills
- Ability to move around and inspect construction sites at all levels
- Own & operate a vehicle with a valid US driver's license
- Ability to communicate in Spanish is a plus
Google Business Apps
Microsoft Office Apps
Zoom video conferencing software
Customer Relationship Management software
Adobe Creative Cloud, ArcGIS, Google Sketchup and BIM software a plus
CS offers competitive salaries and benefits packages for every position. The salary range for this position starts at $70,000 - $85,000 and will be based upon experience.
Travel within the North East USA is anticipated 3-4 times per year to attend meetings, events, conferences and trainings.
The work environment is a professional office located in the Northeast Neighborhood of
Hartford, CT, with some flexibility to work remotely. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, speak, and hear. The position requires extensive computer use so the employee must have sufficient hand dexterity to use a computer keyboard and be capable of reading a computer screen. Job can require at times long hours and work over weekends. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable otherwise qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Please submit your cover letter and resume here.