About Community Solutions and the Built for Zero team:
Ending homelessness is not just our mission statement — it’s a reality we are helping communities achieve every day. Community Solutions is a hardworking team of social problem solvers working to end homelessness and the conditions that create it. We work with 70+ communities across the U.S. — and more around the world — to build a movement to end chronic and veteran homelessness. 10 communities have already ended veteran and/or chronic homelessness.
Community Solutions seeks leaders at every level: extraordinary, mission-oriented people not satisfied with the status quo. We are a team of values-driven innovators motivated by results. We eagerly seek and support diverse applicants. We provide generous benefits and opportunities for inspiring and transformational professional growth. We pride ourselves in developing an inclusive workplace culture that encourages staff to bring their whole selves to work every day.
Community Solutions coordinates Built for Zero, a national movement that is ending homelessness in communities across the country and profoundly changing beliefs about the solvability of homelessness. The Social and Press Coordinator will play a key role in helping Community Solutions shift norms around beliefs of what is possible and what must be done about it. They will harness traditional and social media to bring more allies to the movement, provide critical support to the communities leading the charge, and position homelessness as a solvable and urgent issue that demands our action.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Provide communications support to our partner communities to 1) ensure impactful announcements leveraging traditional and social media, and 2) provide capacity building opportunities for communications through training and the sharing of tools and resources
- Working with the Senior Campaigner and Art Director, develop social toolkits for use by the communications team, strategic partners, and community partners
- Serve as the first point of contact for inbound press requests and coordinate interviews with both internal and external spokespeople
- Help members of the strategic communications team pitch and place stories to drive an understanding that homelessness is a solvable, urgent issue that demands action
- Work with our strategic partners to place media stories that demonstrate the power of partnerships that make ending homelessness possible
- Maintain press lists, editorial calendar, and media tracker of placements and ensure press placements are uploaded to our website
- Track and evaluate the performance of social campaigns and posts; lead social listening to provide consistent view of the conversation around homelessness and identify opportunities for us to shape it
- Work with our Manager of Central Communications to maintain an inventory of key internal and external communications assets, such as talking points and toolkits
- Manage the day-to-day strategy for our social media accounts, including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
What Success Looks Like:
- High-quality execution of announcement plans for functional zero and new partner communities, which result in visibility through press placements in key publications engaging social posts, and amplification by key stakeholders
- Training, tools, and resources for Built for Zero communities that enable them to amplify their own voices, learning and accomplishments in ending homelessness
- Strong relationships with, and up to date lists of media contacts
- Management of communications assets, which includes ensuring press placements, communications toolkits, talking points and marketing materials are tracked, posted, and disseminated
- Effective execution of Community Solutions’ social and traditional press strategy, which helps to drive new norms around the solvability and urgency of ending homelessness
The Social and Press Coordinator reports to the Principal of Strategic Communications.
Qualifications and Prerequisites:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including impeccable writing skills on tight deadlines
- 1-2 years experience in communications working with traditional press and social media preferred
- Demonstrable record of successfully pitching and placing stories and managing social media accounts
- Demonstrated ability to own the work
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced team-oriented environment
- Passion for building and managing relationships
- Strong problem solving and project management skills
- Experience in the field of homelessness or work with marginalized communities is a bonus, but not required
- Microsoft Office
- Google Business Apps
- Social media software and applications
This position will offer a salary starting at $50,000, based on experience
Around 5 to 7 days of travel may be required every 3 months to attend semi-annual team retreats, community site visits, and other on-site trainings or convenings. Most travel is to major cities around the U.S., including current Built for Zero communities.
This position has a preferred location of New York City or Atlanta, where Community Solutions has office space. The position provides flexibility to work from a remote location if such an arrangement meets the needs of Community Solutions.
Please apply with cover letter, resume, and writing samples here.